By John J. Winkler
Utilizing contemporary advances in literary conception, Winkler tackles the elusive which means of Apuleius's `The Golden Ass', in particular the connection among ebook and reader.
Read or Download Auctor and Actor: A Narratological Reading of Apuleius' the Golden Ass PDF
Best medieval books
A close learn of the hands and armour of Teutonic troops in Medieval Prussia. A dialogue of the assets is by means of a weapon by means of weapon account of shielding palms (helmet armour and protect) and offensive hands (sword, aspect arm, employees guns, butt guns, capturing guns, hand firearm and knightly belt).
Tolkien stories: An Annual Scholarly evaluation provides the turning out to be physique of serious observation and scholarship on either J. R. R. Tolkien's voluminous fiction and his educational paintings in literary and linguistic fields.
This quantity on Appolonius of Rhodes, whose "Argonautica" is the only full-length epic to outlive from the Hellenistic interval, contains articles by way of 14 students from throughout Europe and the US. Their contributions conceal quite a lot of matters from the historical past of the textual content and the issues of the poet's biography via questions of fashion, literary strategy and intertextual kin to the epic's library and cultural reception.
Pindar and the Emergence of Literature areas Pindar within the context of the evolution of Archaic Greek poetics. whereas featuring an in-depth creation to different facets of Pindar's paintings (authorial metapoetics, imagery, style hybridization, faith, social context, and dialect), it seeks to set up a center flooring among cultural contextualism and literary background, being attentive either to poetry's old milieu and its uncanny ability to undergo in time.
- The Court Reconvenes: Courtly Literature Across the Disciplines
- Seamus Heaney: The Making of the Poet
- M. Tullius Cicero, the fragmentary speeches : an edition with commentary
- German Philhellenism: The Pathos of the Historical Imagination from Winckelmann to Goethe
- Say What I Am Called: The Old English Riddles of the Exeter Book & the Anglo-Latin Riddle Tradition (Toronto Old English Studies)
Additional info for Auctor and Actor: A Narratological Reading of Apuleius' the Golden Ass
The translation is by Louise Sylvester. ] 11. Ornamenta Ranulphi episcopi Date: quarto nonas January 1095. Written in Latin. Ranulph Flambard, justiciary and procuratorgeneral under King William II (William Rufus), was consecrated bishop of Durham in 1099, having, as is reported, purchased the see for 1000 marks. He was the builder of Framwellgate Bridge, Norham Castle, and Kepier Hospital, and sites in the Durham area. He died in 1128. This is the first will which includes descriptions of embroidered motifs.
10. Ornamenta Willielmi episcopi primi Date: 4 January 1095 (1096). Written in Latin. William de Karilepho (Saint Carilef / Saint Calais; see Plate 1), abbot of St Vincent’s in Normandy, was consecrated bishop of Durham (1081–96) at Gloucester during Christmastide, 1080, and was made Lord Chief Justice of England. He died at Windsor early in January 1096. The notices of splendid robes which the monks of Durham obtained upon the death of each of its early bishops, are, strictly speaking, neither wills nor inventories, but mortuaries.
Also to my lord the archbishop of York my ring with the large ruby. Also to my lord bishop of Durham a ring with a large sapphire. ] Likewise the best of the existing rings of York, and they are to be given to my lords the bishops of Norwich and Carlisle. ] Likewise the deacon of York and to each of the resident canons a gold ring with a sapphire of about 10 or 12 pence in weight. Likewise Lord Robert, vicar of Auckland, a gold ring and a white 26 medie val dre s s and te xtil e s in britain meos de serico ecclesiis meis ubi fuerit necesse, & in quibus defectus fuerit.
Auctor and Actor: A Narratological Reading of Apuleius' the Golden Ass by John J. Winkler