By Laurie L. Patton
Authority, anxiousness, and Canon elucidates a precept primary to Hinduism’s self-understanding--the Veda--while whilst reading the methodological problems with the function of canon in non secular culture. Spanning the early classes of Indian non secular heritage as much as the 20th century, the booklet combines theoretical sophistication and distinct scholarship to supply one of many first complete works on Vedic interpretation for the reason that Louis Renou’s Le Destin Du Veda.
Read or Download Authority, Anxiety, and Canon: Essays in Vedic Interpretation PDF
Similar sacred writings books
Quantity 20 of The Jewish legislations Annual good points six exact reports. the 1st 3 articles give some thought to questions which fall lower than the rubric of halakhic method. the ultimate 3 articles handle considerable questions concerning privateness, cohabitation and scientific triage. All 3 ‘methodological’ articles speak about inventive interpretation of felony assets.
A brand new and leading edge option to technique the Psalter that strikes past shape and cult-functional feedback Drawing notion from Gerald H. Wilson's The modifying of the Hebrew Psalter, this quantity explores questions of the formation of the Psalter from the point of view of canonical feedback. although known as canonical feedback, the learn really employs a couple of traditionally conventional and nontraditional ways to examining the textual content together with shape feedback, ancient feedback of person psalms in addition to of the total Psalter, and redaction feedback.
The Elijah-Elisha narrative (1 Kgs 16:29 - 2 Kgs thirteen) is the main underestimated textual content within the Bible. faraway from being a disparate assortment, it really is really a delicately crafted double drama that either mirrors lifestyles and synthesizes systematically the total fundamental heritage (Genesis-Kings). In a daring hermeneutical circulate it transforms the language of historiography - of patriarchs and kings - into the language of prophetic biography.
Kingship and reminiscence in old Judah addresses the query of ways a postmonarchic society might take note and picture its monarchy, and kingship quite often, as a part of its prior, current, and destiny. How did Judeans of the early moment Temple interval conceive of the monarchy? in terms of an intensive research of Judean discourse during this period, Ian D.
- Sexual and Marital Metaphors in Hosea, Jeremiah, Isaiah, and Ezekiel (Oxford Theological Monographs)
- A Guide to the Hidden Wisdom of Kabbalah
- The Status of Women in Jewish Tradition
- Schriftauslegung im Ezechielbuch: Redaktionsgeschichtliche Untersuchungen zu Ez 34-39 (Beihefte zur Zeitschrift fur die Alttestamentliche Wissenschaft)
- The Blackwell Companion to the Hebrew Bible (Blackwell Companions to Religion)
- Difficult Beginnings: Three Works on the Bodhisattva Path
Additional info for Authority, Anxiety, and Canon: Essays in Vedic Interpretation
90. 117-18; cf. 10. 91. See Smith, "The Veda and the Authority of Class," in the present volume. 92. 5. 93. The three vyahrtis* are at times directly identified with the three Vedas. 4. However, they are more often described as their essences. 8-9. 94. 11-13, discussed earlier. 7. 95. 1-8; cf. 363-64. 96. 1-7; cf. 7. 97. 1-4. 1-8. 1-8 begins with Prajapati* pressing Vac*, the essence of which becomes the worlds, from which Agni, Vayu*, and Aditya* are brought forth, and so on. The rest of the passage follows the standard sequence.
Barbara A. Holdrege, Journal of Ritual Studies 4(2):41-59. " In Ritual and Power, ed. Barbara A. Holdrege, Journal of Ritual Studies 4(2):315-45. " In Lex et Litterae: Essays on Ancient Indian Law and Literature in Honour of Oscar Botto, ed. Siegfried Lienhard and Irma Piovano. Turin: CESMEO. Radhakrishnan, Sarvepalli, and Charles A. Moore, eds. 1957 A Source Book in Indian Philosophy. Princeton: Princeton University Press. Ramanujan, A. , trans. 1973 Speaking of Siva*. Harmondsworth, Middiesex, England: Penguin.
244. 76. It is not entirely clear how the verb, root mrs* + abhi, "to touch, come in contact with," is to be understood in this context. 77. 9-10, which mentions how after the waters (ap) went forth from Vac*, Prajapati* entered the waters with the threefold Veda (trayi* vidya*). 78. 244, discussed above, in which Prajapati* brings forth the three worms through the sounds a, ka, and ho. 79. 11-13. Cf. 101, which mentions only the creation of the earth from the utterance bhuh*. 2011 21:36:27] cover 80.
Authority, Anxiety, and Canon: Essays in Vedic Interpretation by Laurie L. Patton